The functional and structural flexibility of the nanoFlowcell® drive is already familiar from automotive design. But this technology can also be scaled up to give it an output equivalent to that of a diesel locomotive with several thousand horsepower.
Another advantage of a nanoFlowcell® train is that it is considerably quieter than a diesel locomotive – its electric motors run almost silently. The only noise is the wheels rolling on the track and the aerodynamic sound of air being displaced.
Existing railway vehicles could be re-equipped with nanoFlowcell® technology. nanoFlowcell® is integrated into the on-board electrical system as an energy supplier, providing reliable and uninterrupted power. Passengers notice the increased efficiency and reliability when the likes of the air conditioning, lighting and wifi suddenly start working smoothly.
The benefits of nanoFlowcell® technology for rail traffic are:
- zero harmful emissions (air pollution and noise)
- low-maintenance energy storage, long lifecycle, immune to deep discharge
- high operational safety. The bi-ION electrolytes used in the nanoFlowcell are neither flammable nor explosive and are also harmless to health and the environment; thermal collapse is impossible
- independent of the electricity grid, yet 100 percent electric
- improved, reliable on-board electricity supply makes the travel experience more comfortable and convenient